- Involved in tactical and strategic planning for area of responsibility.
- Provides safety leadership and problem solving to departmental resources on safety related issues as well as all Corporate facilities as needed.
- Orders the suspension of activities that pose threats to workers’ health and safety.
- Identifies, recommends and implements measures to help protect employees from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials.
- Investigates accidents to identify root causes and makes recommendations on how to error-proof the process.
- Inspects and evaluates workplace environments, equipment and practices in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Collaborates with engineers to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Develops and conducts safety training and educational programs and demonstrates the use of safety equipment.
- Provides new employee health and safety orientations and develops material for these presentations.
- Collects samples of dust, gases, vapors and other potentially toxic materials and processes them for results.
- Coaches and mentors management on good safety observations practices.
- Develops and works with management to implement accountability standards and recognition programs.
- Leads multi-discipline problem solving teams for the Health and Safety Department.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Two year college degree in related safety science field or engineering or demonstrated equivalent experience as determined by Department Management.
- Five or more years of safety or related experience.
- Good understanding of the manufacturing process.
- Knowledge of positive employee relations practices
- Experience implementing safety programs.
- Knowledge of OSHA guidelines and regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership ability; sets high expectations for performance.
- Demonstrated ability to provide both formal and informal training.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate successfully with hourly employees along with several other functional areas not limited to Health and Safety, Engineering, Maintenance and Production.
- Technical - significant knowledge in the following; Air Monitoring, Noise level monitoring, Respirator Fit Testing, Ergonomic standards, Physical Hazard inspections, hearing conservation programs, confined space programs, emergency preparedness, Fall Hazard assessment/abatement, JHA process, Machine Safe Guarding, Mobile Equipment Safety, Cranes & Rigging, PPE, Hazardous communication, Heat Stress programs, Incident investigations and Lock-out/Tag-Out.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.